Tuesday 24 July 2007

P for ‘(slow) progress’ – and no more chocolate?

I have realised lately that I don’t like my dark, 70% Lindt chocolate any more. I’ve tried a couple of other brands, but again noticed that, decidedly, it’s just not nice. Either it’s not sweet enough, or it’s just the chocolate – I’m not sure. In any case, I thought I would eat my last few squares (couldn’t quite deal with the ‘waste’ issue in that instance, I’m sorry to say...) and not replenish my supplies and see what would happen. Luckily, it coincided with my time away. When I’m away, I never even think of chocolate, let alone eat it. Whereas when I’m at home, I always eat a square with my breakfast (because 1) It’s good for you and 2) I enjoy it).

So anyway, I finished my last square, I went away, I didn’t miss it, and yesterday morning I tried my first breakfast at home without chocolate. In fact, I didn’t even think about it until later – ‘Hey! By the way! I’ve eaten my cereals... without chocolate!’ I didn’t feel deprived (as I thought/dreaded I might be – perhaps it would send me straight to the corner shop for a few bars!), I didn’t miss it, and I promptly forgot about it all.

Ditto this morning.

You know what? I’m on to something here! Yes, because the same happened with biscuits. Slowly slowly, I reduced my intake: just two at a time, several times a day; just two at a time, only with my yoghurt at lunch time and after dinner; just two a time any time I wanted them; just one at a time with my yoghurt etc., down to mostly no biscuits – EVER! I haven’t had a biscuit for ages! Unbelievable! This time last year (well, in fact, in April 2006), I was wolfing them down, 10 at a time!

So if this happened to me, surely it can happen to anybody. My closest friends can testify.
What progress have you made?

No comments: