Friday 6 July 2007

IE is the only solution

I don’t know if Alicetini was (in part) referring to me in her second comment on Sweet Chocolate Kisses' blog when she wrote:
I've noticed a few of us are looking around for alternatives to BC/IE recently (case in point, me and the extremely brief diet) so maybe shaking things up a bit and experimenting with having some rules might help?
but it sure rang true for me. I recognised myself as one of these people...

I was even tempted to delete my previous post, the one about Gillian Riley’s Eating Less, so furious I was with myself for having been led astray once more.

What an idiot I’ve been! Why do we keep looking for solutions elsewhere? As soon as the going gets tough, we try dieting again, we try exercising more, we try seeing our food problem as an addiction and so as something that needs controlling.

Indeed, it occurred to me on Wednesday afternoon that if I was following Gillian Riley’s advice again, it was because my control freakiness was taking over once more, because I couldn’t can’t quite let go of my food problem and trust my body. I think it was reassuring rereading her book last week because it was all about controlling things, and I needed that. I felt out of control. But then on Wednesday, I realised I was making a step backwards rather than forwards.

Last night, I started rereading Beyond Chocolate, and oh it made so much more sense than Eating Less! Why on earth did I stop believing in IE for even one second?

However, Alicetini is right: it helps sometimes to try something else – just to realise that IE truly is the only solution. It helps us to get back on track.

So here’s to IE!

4 comments:

Nicola said...

So very true. I have that Gillian Riley book and found it very useful after doing LighterLife (a VLCD meal replacement diet) for 12 weeks, but it's true that IE/BC is the only answer and sometimes I do resent that. I wish there were some way I could push some rules onto myself, but I know that giving myself rules only sets myself up to break them, and setting myself up for a fail is just silly.

I've re-read my Beyond Chocolate book so many times since I bought it in March that it is now falling apart and has notes and underlining scrawled on so many pages!

Not Hungry But... said...

Hi Nicola and welcome to the IE club! Love the picture on your blog. Thanks for linking to mine - I'm going to link to yours as soon as I've written this comment.

My copy of BC is well thumbed too, now! Isn't it great to be able to go back to it and feel that same relief every time - we ARE on the right track and we WILL get this sorted, once and for all?!
Good luck with it all.

Liquorice Torpedoes said...

The Gillian Riley book felt too diety about half way through and I gave up on it. I may re-read it at some point.

Not Hungry But... said...

It's got some interesting principles and concepts, which may help some people but not others. I don't think that it's worth bothering re-reading it, Liquorice Torpedoes. You seem to be doing really well on the IE front. Just ignore Gillian. Give it to charity or to a friend who you think might benefit.